Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Frustrated


Well... I am feeling rather like Laney in this picture right now... I'm really frustrated with our daycare. I absolutely love them, and they have taken excellent care of Elena thus far. But in the last month, there have been some issues that I haven't been too pleased with. The first was the resignation of the director. See, there is one lady who owns the daycare, and then she hires a director. Well, I absolutely loved the director, she was always in the classrooms lending an extra hand (especially in the infant and toddler rooms, where extra hands are MUCH appreciated), she always had a smile for me, and she really loved Elena. Well, a couple of months ago, her father died, and while she was gone to take care of that, something happened between the staff and the director, and Nolanda resigned shortly after she got back. On the same day, one of Elena's teachers resigned. So, I don't know if those were connected, but I assume they probably were. But Elena's other teacher, who happened to also be Nolanda's daughter, stayed because she liked the kids she was taking care of so much. Well, today I dropped Elena off like normal, and Chas was the one who was there to take her. But when I picked her back up, one of the teachers gave me a note, and said that Chas had been let go that day.
So Chas was my favorite teacher of Elena's, and I don't know why she was let go, but it's not like she quit- they fired her. And she was an amazing teacher who really cared about the kids she was taking care of. I actually got to spend quite a bit of time with Elena's teachers because I nursed her at lunch for so long, and I got to watch Chas with the kids. She was great, and she really had a soft spot for Elena- she didn't want her to transition over to the toddler side at all.
Anyway, I'm just a little frustrated with how it was all handled, and the fact that no one told me- the note I got from the other teacher was not from the director or the owner, but from Chas, and she talked about how she'd like to see all the kids one more time to say bye. So they didn't even let her say goodbye to the kids. I just don't get it.
And I'm not sure what to do... when Nolanda left, she kind of joked about her and Chas setting up an in-home daycare. If they did that, I would totally move Elena there. But the non-emotional side of me says that there are two sides to every story, and I don't know the reasons they had for firing her. But I find it hard to swallow that they wouldn't let her say goodbye to the kids she took care of for 6 hours a day (and more, because she'd stay after she was off the clock and rock a cranky baby to sleep, etc), and that neither the director nor the owner had the courtesy to let the parents know.
Anyway, I guess my plan for the moment is to see if the owner is there tomorrow, and ask her about it. And I'll probably call Chas, and talk to her to see what happened. And go from there. Any better ideas???

4 comments:

April said...

Bless your heart! I know it is so disheartening when you are displeased with something that is so important. I think you should totally ask to speak with the director tomorrow, and ask if any specifics can be given, so you can have a chance to hear both sides of the story. You're a good Mama for asking questions :)
Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Daycare stuff is especially frustrating because there isn't usually a clear cut answer! It won't hurt to have a calm, objective conversation with the owner to see what their plans are. That will probably give you the answers you are looking for one way or the other. Hang in there!

-Mom

jess said...

Ditto to April and Mom. I'm sorry you're having to deal with this, I'm sure it's hard to leave your most prized possession with people you're not sure you trust totally :( I say definitely get in contact with the owner - you have a right to demand answers. After all, you are the "customer."

Keep us posted!

Anonymous said...

Of course talk to the directors...but also to other parents that you see everyday coming and going...sometimes you may find out as much that way. Yaya
And while you are uncertain of the new teachers, stop in any time to visit with Miss E. That will set your mind at ease.