Friday, April 06, 2012

Laney’s First Hair Cut

 

It’s hard to believe, but Laney hasn’t ever had her hair cut… yep, 4 and a half years, and no hair cuts.  But, well, she had zero hair when she was born, and I’ve been meaning to get around to it, but just haven’t.  Well, I guess she got tired of waiting.

Tuesday night was pretty normal for us; I have a meeting on Tuesdays at 6:30, so it’s pretty much home, dinner, Mommy leaves again.  The girls and I got home later than normal, so I was rushing to get dinner ready.  I didn’t notice anything unusual, though, Laney was in and out of the kitchen the whole time.  And then Josh got home, and we ate dinner, and afterwards Josh walked into the bathroom and found a chunk of hair on the floor next to a ponytail holder.  He showed it to me because he was worried that so much hair was coming out with her ponytail holders… yeah, I looked at it, and saw that the ends were all even, and figured that hair wasn’t yanked out, it was CUT!  So we started looking around, and found a few more little chunks on the floor.  Not bad, though… and then we saw this:

DSC_4934

And then the panic started!  We called Laney in and started looking at her hair, and, sure enough, there were chunks missing.  Thankfully, she didn’t do the typical grab-your-bangs-and-cut-at-the-scalp move, she mostly just took chunks out of the back.  But, it was definitely NOT even:

DSC_4935

We talked to her about why she did it (“I wanted my hair to be pretty!”) and why it wasn’t a good idea.  And we tried really hard not to laugh hysterically the whole time, but it was pretty funny!  Poor thing, though, since I had a meeting she had to go to school with crazy hair, because I didn’t have time to cut it Tuesday night!

Wednesday after school I soaked her hair and trimmed it up, and it ended up looking like this:

DSC_4948

Actually really cute, and no permanent damage done.  Although, she did manage to cut one chunk considerably shorter than the rest!  You can only see it in the back…

DSC_4951

See… right there!

arrow

Thankfully, it doesn’t show when her hair is up or anything else.  I didn’t want to cut her hair that short, so it’ll just have to grow out!

It looks awfully cute (and grown up!) in a ponytail, though…

DSC_4952

Just as a comparison, here is her ponytail earlier this week… she lost a lot of length!

DSC_4867

Anyway, live and learn, I guess… hair cutting was bound to happen, so at least there wasn’t too much damage done!  And it forced me to finally cut her hair… and it’s a hilarious story to tell later!  Much of parenting is one hilarious story after another, I’ve discovered…

No comments: