Thursday, June 16, 2011

Made It

Well, the girls and I officially live in Kentucky now! This is going to be a very brief update, and there aren't a lot of pictures, but just wanted to let everyone know that we were alive! :)

We left Sunday after church and lunch with the family. I'm not even going to say that leaving wasn't hard, b/c it really was. It's still hard to know/believe that I'm really not going to be going "home" to Columbia, because home is now Elizabethtown!

Anyway, as far as the trip, it went pretty well. This was what I imagined the girls would do all the way here:

(Please ignore the precariously perched junk in the back of the van... we needed Charlie the Packer to help us! But, isn't that a cute basket?! Found it for like $7 at Hobby Lobby to put in the new buffet to keep my tablecloths and napkins confined)


And it looked like they might, but both were awake before we hit St. Louis. Not part of the plan! I was worried it was going to be a horrible trip, but really they were both pretty good. Laney watched movies, A fell back asleep a couple of times, and with a stop or two at rest areas so they could run for a minute or two, they were really pretty happy. And, man, was Daddy happy to see us!!

So, we spent Monday and Tuesday kind of getting settled and, of course, unpacking. And trying to find our stuff, b/c it was everywhere! Actually, Monday I also had a job interview, with Woodland Elementary School. It was a really interesting interview, because it was done like speed dating- there were 7 of us, and we spent 5-10 minutes with a person, and then moved to the next. It was actually a pretty relaxing way to interview because there wasn't this whole group of people staring at me, just one other person to talk to. Anyway, I think I would like the school; I liked everyone I met, it seemed like a nice school, and it was only about 10 minutes from home. BUT, there were 87 applicants (not all interviewed, though, so I guess I made it through the first round), so obviously there's a lot of interest in teaching jobs. But, God's taken care of everything else in this move, so there's no reason to think He won't take care of this, too.



Anyway, we also had to make some trips to Walmart, b/c the girls and I needed more than a bachelor's pantry (hello, we cannot survive on chili and hot dogs alone!). Oh, the joys of a family trip to Walmart...


A, being a goof in the WM checkout line.


Laney had already been carried screaming from the store by her daddy b/c of a massive fit when told she was not getting a treat b/c of the SEVERAL massive fits she'd thrown throughout the store. Not sure Daddy was as excited to see us by the time this trip was over... not sure where she gets that crazy fit throwing at Walmart thing... (hush, Ellen)


Speaking of not so happy to see us... Truman has informed me that he was a lot happier when the children were not living in the house. Can't imagine why...



So, that's about it. We're settling in, although Josh has abandoned us already... he left Wednesday morning for Ichthus, a giant Christian concert in Lousiville. He won't be back until Sunday morning at church, so it's just the girls and I for now, trying to figure out how to get all of our stuff to fit in our new house! I am starting to feel confident that most of the rooms will fit... except the bathroom. Going from two full sized vanities to a vanity that is barely wider than the sink... yeah, I'm going to have to be really creative! And it does sometimes feel like the girls and I are sitting on top of each other... makes me rethink all those years of living in a house this size with SIX people growing up... but we'll settle in. I do like our house, and I think it will be a good house for us. The new privacy fence looks great (thanks, Charlie & Corey), and there are some little projects that we can do that will help the whole place look better. And I've already had a few chances to bust out the oil-rubbed bronze spray paint, so I'm pretty happy about that! :)

I promise to post more pictures when I have something to take pictures of, and when I have wireless to use to post them (I'm at Panera right now while the girls are at VBS... which has been a lifesaver. Never thought I'd enjoy 2.5 childless hours so much). Just wanted to let everyone know that we made it, that we're settling in, and that we appreciate all of the prayers headed our way!

1 comment:

jess said...

we want pics of the new place, please :)

glad you're there safe & getting settled!! love you guys!