Monday, June 20, 2011

Mirror Redo

Well, we continue to survive and settle in here in KY!  Unpacking is going pretty well, we are really down to just figuring out what to do with our bathroom stuff (hello, going from 2 bathrooms to 1 is quite the challenge!) and everything will have a place.  With Josh back this week, we are working on hanging pictures and making the place really feel like a home.  So, I promise, as soon as the house looks presentable, I will post some pictures.  Well, and as soon as we have internet at home… which we still don’t have, which is not cool at all and making me a little crazy!  Right now we are all at the church office, the girls are running amok and Josh and I are using the wireless! 

Anyway, so, I don’t have finished house pictures.  But I did do one fun project this week while Josh was gone, and I thought I’d share.

See, I went to Dad’s auction the day before we moved (which was not a good plan, definitely ended up having to pack a lot more to bring here that night!).  Anyway, I saw this mirror that I thought would look good in the girls’ room. 

DSC_4168

Well, when it came time to bid on the mirrors, the white one got paired up with a gold one I wasn’t a huge fan of, but both of them sold for $2, so I bought it anyway, and ended up with this mirror as well:

DSC_4154

One of the things I loved about my old kitchen, was that standing at the sink you could look out of a window.  Made doing the dishes (not my favorite) a little less painful.  But this house didn’t have that, because that wall goes to the bathroom!  So, you’re just staring at this blank wall.  Not so interesting.

DSC_4159

I thought it would be a good place for a mirror, to kind of bounce some light around.  I mean, it wouldn’t be looking at the backyard, but at least it wouldn’t be staring at a blank wall, either!  So I covered the mirror inside the frame (thus the  cardboard and painters tape in the first picture) and busted out the oil rubbed bronze spray paint!  A couple of minutes in the carport during the girls’ nap, and I had this:

DSC_4156

It took several touch ups to get all of the edges and corners, and I left it outside to dry for a day or two because I really hate the smell of spray paint, but pretty soon I pulled out the cardboard, and it was ready to hang!

DSC_4162

A little measuring and a nail later, and at least there was some light bouncing around the kitchen!

DSC_4164 

It’s not perfect, it’s a little small for the space, but for a $1 mirror and some leftover spray paint, it’s not too bad! 

And, just for a few updates on how everyone else is handling the move, they seem to be settling right in!

Laney is already busting out the princess dresses,

princess

And Isa is already busting out of the fence!

fence

We think she pushed the corner of the gate out enough to squeeze through.  It was storming pretty heavily, so I imagine she was highly motivated by fear!  Judging from the muddy paw prints all over the back door, she definitely was interested in getting IN the house, not running away!  Thankfully, there is a gate on the other end of the carport from the previous owners, so she couldn’t get anywhere.  Looks like we’ll be buying a latch for the bottom of the gate, too! :)

Sunday we ran about half an hour south to a town called Glendale to take Daddy to lunch at a good restaurant there, and to pick something up an antique mall next door.  The restaurant was closed (major bummer), but the girls got to play on the wooden train at the antique store, so they were happy! 

Train

 

We really are settling in pretty well, we got to go to church as a family again, and that was really nice.  Except for the part where Laney stuck cheerios up her nose during morning worship… but, oh well!  I’m excited to have most of the unpacking done, and to get to hang pictures and really make our house feel like our home!  I will be sure to share pictures when it’s closer to done and when we have internet again! 

1 comment:

EllensCreativePassage said...

Laney put cheerios up her nose?? Laney? Love the mirror!