Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Big Bummer

Well, there won't be many posts for awhile, most likely. Yesterday someone broke into Josh's car and took his laptop bag, with our laptop, several of his books, all his notes, his flash drive, all of Ruth's graduation pictures... you get the idea. So if I owe you an email, sorry, but I won't be replying anytime soon because I can't check my hotmail account at school. So my school account is your best bet for now.

I don't even care about the laptop that much... it's the stuff that's on it. All of Josh's notes for sermons for the past year. Scans of all of the ultrasound pictures (some of which got lost in the move). Every picture I've taken since November. All of Ruth's graduation pictures, and the cd I just burned for her, which Josh was taking to her.

Anyway, it's very frustrating. I guess the guy pushed down Josh's window enough to get it unlocked, then just grabbed the bag off of the floor. An MU police officer came to the house and fingerprinted the window, and got a good print (provided it's not Josh's or mine), but that only helps if the guy's prints are on record. If they're not, well, we're basically out of luck. We don't have the box the computer came in, so we don't have the serial number, and Compaq can't give us the serial number unless we have the serial number (WHAT?! Talk about the opposite of helpful!). And without the serial number the officer can't put it into the system that pawn shops use. At this point, I'd really just like to have the bag back, even if the guy kept the laptop and threw the bag in the dumpster. The flash drive and cd alone would make me feel a little bit better.

It's just one more expense, and Josh and I have been trying to be very careful to keep a savings account and plan for things, and this past couple months it's been one thing after another. Outside of buying the house and putting in a fence, there's been the new transmission for the car, and the expense of the dog incident... and now it looks like there will be a new laptop, too, because we use it too much to just not have one. I mean, on the one hand, it's good that it happens when we have my summer school checks to count on. But, on the other, the summer school checks were supposed to go towards having a baby and rebuilding our savings account after the major hit it took (transmission, house, fence).

Really, it's just very frustrating, and it makes me very sad to lose all of those pictures. And Josh feels like it's his fault, even though it's definitely not. But there's still room for God to work a miracle (Josh's cell is still intact, after all), and, if not, well, it's just a laptop, and we'll survive.

2 comments:

jess said...

Oh, I am so sorry, Liz! That's horrible. I too would be more sad about the pictures than anything else. I hope it turns up.

Anonymous said...

LIZ AND JOSH..........I AM SO SORRY ABOUT WHAT HAPPENED. THAT IS TERRIBLE. I DON`T UNDERSTAND PEOPLE. HOW COULD SOMEONE DO SOMETHING LIKE THAT. I WILL BE PRAYING FOR A MIRACLE!!!! JANE