Monday, September 11, 2006

Fancy Fete



Yes, I realize that these pictures don't really go with a "fancy party," but wait until later in the story...

So Friday night Dad invited Josh and I to go with him (and Mom) to the Tiger Scholarship Fund "Luau" fundraiser. He got to be the auctioneer for the live auction, and they gave him 4 tickets for doing it. Apparently this was like $500 a table (=$50 a plate or so), so I thought it'd be pretty fun. There was a silent auction, and the live auction, plus a band, and much high profile mingling (which I didn't really do, because I don't mingle). Anyway, they had some really cool silent auction stuff, including an autographed Kenny Chesney guitar inside a shadowbox with a poster and picture and some other KC stuff... I was gonna buy it for Ruth for Christmas, but it was already at $550, and that's slightly outside of my budget! :) They just had a bunch of neat stuff, though... most of it outside of my price range! So after wandering through the Silent Auction, we headed to the buffet line... apparently they had heard my buffet rule #1, which I learned from my wedding: use small plates. Unfortunately, they may have taken it a bit too literally, because when I said small plates, I didn't mean play-set saucers! But that's definitely what they had! So we piled as much food as we could on 2 plates (we weren't the only ones by far) and headed to the table. Josh and I went to get drinks, and got a HUGE eyeroll from the bartender when we ordered "Yeah, we'll have 2 waters, a dt. pepsi, and a mountain dew." Guess that's not what he expected when the alcohol is free! Oh well... eye roll=no tip for you! The food was actually really good... they had this carribbean chicken with a pineapple bbq sauce... I'll be buying pineapple bbq sauce if I ever see it, because it was awesome! Anyway, so we all just sat and talked for awhile (had to let everyone get good and sauced, live auction goes better that way), until they were ready to start the live auction. There was some pretty cool stuff auctioned off, like a STL Cards package that had tickets, a hotel, dinner, on field passes, press box passes, etc. And a KC Chiefs package that was similar. Then all of the major coaches at MU did something, like Gary Pinkel donated a 45 minute Harley ride (females only), the new basketball coach donated dinner at his house (which I think would be cool). Plus there was a golf cart, and a trip to Florida for deep sea fishing. Some really cool stuff... way outside of my price range! I did almost bid on some Lasik eye surgery, because everything was going pretty cheap (relatively- $1200 or so) at the beginning, and Lasik eye surgery for $1200 would be a darn good deal! I even asked Josh if I could (which nearly gave him a heart attack), but it started at $1000 and went up from there, so I never got a shot... but oh well! We had a really good time, it was fun to hang out with Mom and Dad for an evening. And it was a chance to see some really interesting fashion... like the lady wearing high-heeled, clear plastic, LIGHT UP FLIP FLOPS... yes, you read that correctly. Whiskey Tango anyone?

Anyway, back to the pictures... they gave us lei's to go along with the whole luau theme, so Josh (of course) put his on the dog. She looked adorable and posed for about 1.5 seconds (long enough for the flash to go off) and then started devouring it! :) It was a funny end to a fun evening! Posted by Picasa

No comments: